Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Round Up #1

Merry Christmas Eve! We have been in full traveling mode since Thursday. So far we have been from Austin to Dallas to Houston to Columbus and back to Round Rock. And we are still not finished. It's been a whirlwind with cranky pants car rides, a Yukon trashed with Gardettos, Cheese Puffs and Cheez-Its, Taylor Swift RED on repeat and a mom with nerves shot to the moon. Tis the season. Fa-la-la-la-la! 

So today, I present to you the first round of our Christmas adventures. Stay tuned for round two.
 
We took the girls on a surprise trip to the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine for Merry Madagascar on Ice. If you have kids and live in Texas, you have to go. We got all bundled up in our borrowed parkas and headed into a 9 degrees freezer full of sculpted and painted ice characters from Madagascar. We couldn't feel our feet, hands or faces by the time we got out, but it was worth it. They do a different theme every year and we definitely plan to make the trip again and hopefully started a new tradition.

The hotel decor was glorious. I think I was more of the kid out of all four of us. It was a true wonderland at night. There were two atriums, a riverwalk, thousands of lights, a life size gingerbread house, waterfalls, trains and music. Should I continue? I could, I guess, but it just won't do this place justice. Like I said, if you have the chance, put this place on your list to visit during the holidays.

After our one night stay in Dallas, we got back in the car and headed to Houston to have Christmas with my dad's side of the family. This was the 78th year of this family reunion tradition. There were 139 in attendance this year. You guys, it's amazing. Extended family come from across the country for this all day event. We rent out a hall, have chili during the day, come back in the evening for a happy hour and a crazy dinner spread, the kids belt out Christmas carols, Santa makes a visit and we just have a jolly good time. I can only hope it continues for generations to come. I just wish my brother and brother-in-law could have been there with us.

And then there was Sunday, the camp house Christmas with Ross's family. A day of homemade shrimp bisque, red, red wine, an obscene amount gifts, lottery scratch offs totaling $285 in winnings, fireworks and we mustn't leave out the oh so festive head gear. Christmas just isn't Christmas without a few headbands and hats.

Now, we are back on the road, yet again, finishing up the festivities in the car, at our candlelight church service, then to an annual dinner with friends, Christmas at our own home, back in the car to Houston and wrapping it all up at my mom and dad's.

Safe travels. Jolly times. Happy present opening. Celebrate and rejoice His birth.

Merry Christmas, friends. And straight from the lips of Tiny Tim, "God bless us, every one!"

P.S. Random Wednesday WILL be live on Wednesday. Hope to see y'all link up your posts!

I am linking up with: Leeann and Sami for the Weekend Update. 
Molly for YOLO Mondays.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

24 comments:

Kellyann Rohr said...

What a great post! Your family really knows how to do Christmas right! Wish I was a relative! Merry, merry Christmas!

FitTravelerAJ said...

This looks so fun! Be careful in your travels and enjoy all of your family time!

Merry Christmas!!

-AJ
FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

Ginny said...

You look like you've had a lot of fun! Merry almost Christmas!
Ginny
mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

TheTinyHeart said...

Holy moly, you have a huge extended family! I love the family photo of you guys with your Christmas hats/headbands! Merry Christmas, Shanna!

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

Jessica said...

I love finding other Texas bloggers! I'm a new follower and your blog is a new fave. :) Very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Helene said...

this looks a wonderful time!!! how fun! I live close to the gaylord Texan but we haven't gone this year, maybe after Christmas- looks like so much fun!

Brooke said...

Looks like you guys are really making the most of the holiday! Yea!

Merry Christmas!


Brooke

Kristen said...

awww your fam is so cute! Love the pic of everyone in santa hats and reindeer ears!
Jealous of your scratch ticket winnings!!
Merry Christmas!
xoxo

Lauren {By Lauren M} said...

Love the pictures of your family! Y'all are too cute. Hope you have a fantastic Christmas!

Fizz and Frosting

A Muse in Purple said...

I love following you on instagram, all the photos before the posts lol Nice scratch off wins btw! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Oh I wish I would have bought some lotto scratch off tickets to bring to Oklahoma. That would make a great stocking stuffer! lol Merry Christmas Shanna!

Sami said...

I love the Gaylord hotels! They are pretty and festive! They are building one in Denver soon I think :) Love seeing your cute family being so festive! Hope you have a Merry Christmas Shanna and thanks for being such a loyal link-uper ;) xoxo

Allison said...

Wow girl...you are making the rounds! Merry Madagascar looks like fun. I want to go and I don't even have kids to take. Haha. Merry Christmas!

Mrs Independent said...

Your family pictures are too cute! I took the day off Weds so I will be participating in Random Wednesday (finally!) Merry Christmas xoxo

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I love your packed family weekend. Fabulous.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, safe travels and all of that, and I'll probably be late posting on Wednesday, but I'll be linking up!

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

GREAT pics! Can't believe how much traveling you guys have been doing, your kids are such troopers!! Everyone looks so happy :)

Merry Christmas-Eve!

Alisa Marie said...

Have a wonderful Christmas! Safe Travels :)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

78 years?! That's incredible!! You guys have been busy with so many fun things. I've loved seeing your IG pics.

Thanks for linking up with us :)

Unknown said...

Wow, that hotel looks amazing! Have a Merry Christmas!
The Real McCoy(s)

still being [molly] said...

wow!! it looks like an amazing weekend, Shanna!! i wish my family did a reunion like that every year! that is amazing!

Jeans and a Teacup said...

Oh my gosh, what a crazy weekend! But sounds like a lot of fun! Merry Christmas!
~Jessica

Amber said...

What a fun time you guys have for the holidays! I love that your dad's side has been gathering for so long. That's amazing!!! <3

Anonymous said...

I went to the Gaylord Texan back and June and loved it! What a cute family you have!

www.walkinginmemphisinhighheels.blogspot.com

Kathrin@shopschoolsleep said...

I went to a similar ice world at he Queen Mary in Long Beach. It was zoo cold but soo cool!! haha!! Holy cow that's a huge family!!Glad you had a merry christmas!!

DESIGN + DEVELOPMENT BY LET IT BE BEAUTIFUL