Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Red, Red Wine....I Mean Lips!


You can drink your red, red wine with red, red lips if you follow my red lip equips below.  Let's face it, Spring 2012 Trend #9, is bold red lipstick.  At first, I was trying to deny it.  In the past, I have only worn red lipstick to costume parties, but let me tell you ladies, it's time to throw a red tube in your cosmetic bag...NOW!  Thumb through any fashion or celeb gossip mag and you will see that I am not telling stories. 

Let's examine what you'll need for the perfect, red lipstick pucker....

Red Lip Equipment

1. If you are going to wear lipstick, make sure you exfoliate your lips a few times a week to avoid flakes & cracks.  There are some great products out there.  I use FRXtion Sugar Exfoliator & Lip Balm by Tarte. You can get it at Ulta or Sephora.  It's half lip balm, half exfoliator...two for the price of one! I heard great things about the one featured too. 
                           $18 - neimanmarcus.com


2. Now it's time to apply a little lip balm.  Some of my girlfriends swear by this affordable lip balm by Eos.  You can pick it up at Target, Walgreens, CVS or Ulta.  I am faithful to Burt's Bees, so that's what my smooch gets daily.
$3.14 - target.com


3. I highly recommend that you use a primer before you apply red or any dark color, for that matter onto your lips.  Try the MAC Prep & Prime Lip. This will help avoid lipstick bleeding and will make your color last much longer.
$23 - nordstrom.com



4. A lip stain works much better than a lip liner.  Lip liners tend to smear, break off and look a little harsh on the lips.  So, I prefer using a lip stain.  This Tarte one is grand, but I actually use NYC Smooch Proof 16H Stain in Rock on Ruby.  It's $5.00, get it at any drugstore & it stays on forever!


5. Now the tricky part...picking your shade of red lipstick. I could sit here all night and write about brands, colors, finishes, but at the end of the day, we all have different skin tones, hair color, etc...you are on your own with this one. I will recommend, MAC Ruby Woo. I've also heard that Revlon Cherry Red works wonders. I love NYC #308 Retro Red & it's $4.00!
                   

6. This next step is optional. You can choose to go with a matte finish, or apply a little gloss.  If you go with gloss, stick with something clear.
$4.49 - sallybeauty.com


7. Last, but most important, blot your lips with Kleenex.  This will remove any clumps and will help keep the red from hopping over to your pearly whites.


Now, you have the most perfect red kisser!  
Congratulations!  Cheers to red wine and red lips!

Shanna Schneider





 




6 comments:

Sabrina said...

I love red lipstick.Wear it almost every day.
xoxo Sabrina

The Violin Style said...

Hi :) I love your beauty tips :)) I'll check it out for sure - I haven't tried a bold red lipstick yet ;] I'm following you via GFC, could you follow me back? www.violinstyle.blogspot.com :)

Babi Brea said...

I love MAC lipstick!! found you on IFB!
Follow you now!! hope you visit my blog and if you like it you can follow me back! =)

http://strawberryworld-bb.blogspot.com/

B.

Annie said...

I love some red lips :)

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Unknown said...

Ok; news flash! They have primer for lips! I guess they have primer for just about everything. I actually just learned about primer for my face and I have been hooked ever since.

www.marleysimonestyle.com

Anonymous said...

Well I definitely liked reading it. This information procured by you is very effective for accurate planning.
ViaBlue High-End QTC Absorbing Spikes - 4 Pieces Black Chrome Gold - Made In Germany

DESIGN + DEVELOPMENT BY LET IT BE BEAUTIFUL